Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Everything's copacetic

I'm a word-addict.  I love word games.  I live for Boggle.  Bananagrams is my life.  My favorite part of Sundays is the NYTimes crossword puzzle.  I have no fewer than 10 crossword books in various rooms in my house -- one of which has 500 Sunday NYTimes puzzles!  I've always been a huge reader and I seem to have picked up all sorts of obscure vocabulary words and tend to get strange looks from people when I use them.  I never realize that I'm saying anything unusual!!  I have friends who teach linguistics here and one of these days I'm going to sit in on their classes.  My DH thinks I'm making words up since he is definitely not a word person.  I'm truly a geek but I come by it naturally -- my mother is like this, too.

So, I get a "word-of-the-day" e-mail every morning that gives a word, its definition and origin.   Today's word was "copacetic" (koh-puh-SET-ik meaning "very satisfactory" (or "it's all good" ☺)).  The origin is fascinating!  Apparently there is quite a lot of debate about it.  One prevailing theory is that Bill "Bojangles" Robinson made it up as a kid!  Others believe that it is a corruption of the Hebrew phrase "kol b'seder" which means "everything is in order."  They say that African Americans working in Jewish owned businesses in the early 1900s heard their bosses saying this and repeated it until it became a new word -- "copacetic."  Apparently it was most popular in the southern U.S., so some scholars have proposed that it was actually created in Atlanta! (Others don't believe any of this... ☺)

This is fascinating to me for many reasons:
  1. I had no idea this was a made up word!  It's always been one of my favorites.  I'm not sure why, but it just seems to flow so well and it just makes me feel...well...like everything's copacetic!
  2. My family came to the U.S. between 1905 and 1915 and were Jewish business owners in Atlanta in several predominantly African American communities.  They most likely would have spoken Ladino and not Hebrew amongst themselves, so it isn't too likely that they started this, but how cool?  I really need to look in my Ladino dictionary and figure out if there's a similar phrase.  (For those who don't know, Ladino is Judeo-Spanish -- it's mostly Spanish with a melding of Hebrew, Turkish, Greek, etc. It was spoken by Sephardic Jews (mostly Spanish origin).  As Yiddish is to most Jews, Ladino is to Sephards.)
  3. Apparently it was a more popular word in the 60s.  Which just proves to me, yet again, that I was born in the wrong decade!!
  4. When I asked my DH if he knew the word, he thought maybe it was related to "kaopectate" which just made me laugh.  ☺

Anyway, all this to say that I've decided that everything's copacetic around here.  I'm going to attempt to stop having daily mood swings from "eep, the world is coming to an end" to "I'm so happy!"  We'll see how that goes...


Yep, everything's copacetic.

ETA:  The word-of-the-day e-mail is from Merriam-Webster.  They also give you a daily word game (with lots of other games there as well).  My mother and I compare our times on the word games sometimes.  Yep, we're that geeky.  ☺

18 comments:

  1. Love this post!!! :) hoping things stay copacetic for both of us :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this post and LOVE that word. It always makes me smile for some reason. :) Here's to everything staying copacetic for a while!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I just have learned something new today! Yay!
    Also, I hope your positive attitude will rub off on me. I seriously need some sunshine!
    I am glad you feel better!:)

    PS: I loved this post, you should share some more 'word' stories!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Please tell me the website that sends you the emails. It's right up my alley. I have the dictionary.com app that just gives the word and the definition. I would love this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. There was a garage band in high school and they named themselves copasetic! I love nerds :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this post! I think we would be best friends in real life. I LOVE crosswords!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've just learned something! That’s fascinating! I also love words, their origins and forms in different languages!

    My mother teaches English as a foreign language and loves looking things up. I’ve offered her several dictionaries over the years, but the most interesting one was a slang dictionary (huge, with slang from every time and place English was ever spoken!)

    Of course, no language is more special to me than my own, spoken all around the world, from Brasil to East Timor :)!

    As for your mood swings, you’re thoroughly entitled to them, not because you’re currently pumped full of hormones, but simply because you’re a woman. As the song goes: “la donna è mobile”!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very cool post! I like it - everything's copacetic here too! Thanks for stopping by my blog - just read your history - hope this is it for you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am also a HUGE Boggle fan! I don't think you have a FB account, but if you ever choose to get one they have a 'scramble' application that is basically boggle and I would love to play with you!
    Great to learn this about you and glad things are copacetic!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I learned so much from your post - the origins of copacetic, Ladino - very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow I just learned a new word thank you! I hope you have a copacetic weekend =)

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOL love it! thanks for teaching me something new today! I love words too, sometimes I wonder why I am not an English teacher. But I'm happy so it's all copacetic :)

    ICLW #134

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi! I love words, too. I have always gotten strange looks for using "dollar" words (as my dad calls them), and my fifth grade students ask me to translate what I just said quite often. Thanks for reminding me that there are more of us out there!

    Happy ICLW (#141)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love word games too. My husband says I have an un-natural obsession with Boggle as well. I play it online daily on Pogo. Congrats on getting the word of the day.

    ICLW #33

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have to say, I've always wondered what that word meant. *blushes*

    Hope things keep on being copacetic. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very interesting...I don't think I had ever heard that word before. I will have to try and use it sometime.

    ICLW

    ReplyDelete
  17. Long time ago but I'm commenting since this post was linked to todays. I LOVE WORDS TOO! I have two NYT Will Shortz books next to me right now. Scrabble is a religion in my world, not a game (but we call in Scrab-asshole as we allow swear words) and I USED to get the WOTD email from W-W.com BUT the words were always too easy so I emailed them as asked for a "Wordsmith WOTD" for those of us with an above average vocabulary and they ignored me. Bastards.

    No wonder I love reading your posts so much!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love that word, too. I've heard the same origin story that it came from kol b'seder. Which I say all the time but not copacetic. It has such a good rhythm to it. I should probably switch to that.

    ReplyDelete